Forest Hills Forum Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1
Changing Real Estate Brokers?.
I just saw an apartment in the Continental area that I am interested in. I was shown the apartment by a broker contacted through an online listing. I am interested in making an offer, but do not have much confidence in the broker who showed it since he did not seem familiar with the board application process. They guy had me initial a form indicating that he had showed me the property. Can I still go through another real estate agent to make the offer on the apartment? I believe that it is listed on MLS so other brokers have access to the listing.

As far as I know, MLS means it's an exclusive listing with one agency that put it on MLS. other brokers can show it if the original listing broker lets them. Unfortunately if you have signed with that agent, you have to go through that agent, who, then has to go through the exclusive listing broker. So you got 2 middlemen. I think tha'ts why they don't use MLS in manhattan at all. i would just call the owner directly and see how this can be worked out. you are still going to have to owe money to the agent who showed you and to the broker who put it on mls. although i think it's just one payment or just the seller pays it.

If an agent showed it to you, and you initialed the sheet, it means that no other broker can show it to you. The broker's commission is paid by the seller to the listing agent, if another broker found it for you on MLS and showed it, the listing agent would split his commission with your broker. You can not just contact the owner directly. You and the owner would be opening yourselves to a lawsuit by the listing agent and your broker to receive the commission.

WHat if you never signed anything for an apt that an agent showed you? do they keep track? and if so, since i never signed anything is it binding?

The agents keep track. And while it's probably difficult to prove in court, it's a legal contract(verbal) when you agreed to go to see an apartment with that agent. It's then agreed that if you do buy it, you will have done this only through this agent. To prove it in court is another matter. But of course if the apartment is not advertised anywhere else except by this agent, it would be difficult to convince the judge that you figured out how to find this apartment yourself.

it is an MLS listing- the agent never once mentioned that he is the only agent I could work through if I wanted this apt. Not only did we not sign anything but there was no verbal exchange or explanation of this "law" to me or my wife. We never read any contract or even signed an information sheet with the agent- nothing- we just went looked and left. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, if you do purchase the place, legally you have to go through the agent that showed it to you.

Now,.......my friend had the same thing happen to him recently. He signed papers with the agent that showed him the place. The agent he used was a piece of crap. Didn't know anything about the place or the area, just let him in. The agent was suppose to get my friend information back but never did. But my friend really wanted the place and didn't feel the agent he contacted was earning his commission. He ultimately said screw it, and contacted the listing agent directly. She was scum also, and knew my friend had signed something with another agent but worked around it to get the full commission. Knowledge-wise, she was worse than his original agent. and she was the listing agent!!!!!

I say screw the agents and contact the seller directly.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1