Forest Hills Forum Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
forest hills south complex.
does anyone live in forest hills south? do you like it? are there a lot of kids? thinking of buying there, but want some feedback?

My husband and I have lived in Forest Hills South for almost 2 years. We like it very much. We don't have kids yet but are seeing more and more families with young children.

i am putting a bid in on a 2 bedroom - i live in manhattan and am so nervous to move , and buy a place. i have a 3 year old, and can't afford manhattan larger space.

thanks for the feedback - do you commute to manhattan? if so, how is it?

ok thanksi am putting a bid in on a 2 bedroom - i live in manhattan and am so nervous to move , and buy a place. i have a 3 year old, and can't afford manhattan larger space.thanks for the feedback - do you commute to manhattan? if so, how is it?

did you buy a place ? how do you like Forest Hills South - I am also planning to move from Manhattan with 2 kids ( 3 and 7 ) and need to commute to the city - is Forest Hills South kids friendly ? how is the commute to midtown - east side ? thanks for info

My wife and I are also thinking of bidding on a place in Forest Hills South (1 bedroom). What did you end up paying? Also, there weren't too many replies to how Forest Hills South is. The place looks nice as far as we can tell.

For the commuters, the commute to mid-town Manhattan is not bad, since you can get on the E/F express and be in midtown in 20 minutes. However, if you need to get downtown the commute can take up to 45 minutes.

I have lived in FHS since 1995. It has evolved a lot in this time from a place strolling with senior citizens to a place crawling with toddlers.

PROS

* Beautiful, well maintained buildings and gardens with fountains
* Very nice, hard working staff
* Onsite management company oversee all 7 buildings that are quick to respond to problems (usually )
* Apartments are huge with plenty of pre-war charm like arched doorways, built-ins, deco mirrors in bathrooms that haven't been remodeled to bits,
* Quick access to GCP and Van Wyck
* Commute to midtown is 30 mins NOT 20 mins. You don't get a seat most of the time so I take the local most days at 71st. It only take 10 mins. longer (well maybe that's a Con?)
* New lobbies, new carpeting in all hallways and new hall windows in the past 5 years
* Good walkable restaurants nearby...Thai, Chinese, Burgers (Cobblestones..yummy), Japanese

CONS

* Maintainence has gone up 38% since 1998. I own a 2BR/2BA, 1100 sf and paid $746 a month in 1998. It has gone up to $1031 by 2007
* The waiting list for parking in one of the 6 garages is 4 years. Parking is $138 a month
* Yearly assessments to cover various major projects and most recently to fund our reserve fund. The cost is $0 net to residents as it coincides with the STAR rebate
* Lots of money is spent on up keep of our buildings. Total rebuilidng of two garges cost hundreds of thousands of $$. New boilers and roofs will be done in the next few years
* Key Food across the street is a ghetto store and there are no nearby fruit stores. You drive to shop elsewhere or use Fresh Direct. (but that a general FH problem)
* Bad flooding problem in gardens when it rains heavily
* Community room has been closed due to flooding for 4 years

I know the Cons outweigh the Pros but it really is a lovely place to live. However, I would not be able to afford to buy my place in 2007. I bought my place at the right time for a ridiculously low price in 1998 and realize how fortunate I am.

For those with kids, FHS is a great place for them. The residents are semi-apathetic but the past few Annual Meetings have been a bit contentious. (a few conspiracy theorists who accuse the board of nefarious activties try and stir up trouble...quite entertaining actually)

Thanks for such an informative response. One question - this complex has part time doormen correct? What hours are they on duty please? Is the building generally quiet?

Thanks

Jane

The doormen's hours are 3p-11p. There are two security guards from 10p-6a that patrol the grounds.

As far as noise, it depends on the building and what you face. Those apartments that face the gardens are quieter than those that face Queens Blvd or the GCP.

Careful. They have been raising maintenance there every year. Just raised it again for 2008

There was a scary break in last year where some guy forced his way into an old lady's apartment when she answered the door. They have hired security at night, but these guys end up sleeping in a corner. The board has been blowing money on ridiculous things bringing the reserves from 1.5 million down to $300,000 (why would you re-do all the lobbies in marble, when you need to repair the roofs, and garages????) They have been taking all of the tax abatements for assessments and raising the maintenance. If I could get out I would, but I can't because no one will buy my place at my maintenance.

Has the reserve gone up since the posting below? From the sound of it, the maintenance has been increased every year.

Also, is the board really difficult when it comes trying to get in?

I am also thinking of buying an apartment here and would appreciate any comments/feedback and such. thanks very much in advance.

Anonymous wrote:
Yes I am a FHS resident.

There was a scary break in last year where some guy forced his way into an old lady's apartment when she answered the door. They have hired security at night, but these guys end up sleeping in a corner. The board has been blowing money on ridiculous things bringing the reserves from 1.5 million down to $300,000 (why would you re-do all the lobbies in marble, when you need to repair the roofs, and garages????) They have been taking all of the tax abatements for assessments and raising the maintenance. If I could get out I would, but I can't because no one will buy my place at my maintenance.

Post RE: 
Many thanks for the information, now I will not commit such error.

FYI....there was no maintainence increase for 2010. Parking is still $155 a month.

* Flooding in our gorgeous English gardens was fixed a few years ago
* Community Room is being restored
* New Management company looks to be an improvement over old one (google Richter Properties for details)
* Most seniors are gone...younger and more vibrant folks moving in
* Prices are very stable (no bargains here)

We are around 95% owner occupied now. [/list]

Post Forest Hills South 
How is the board? They seem to be very strict.

fyi the flooding in the garden is still an issue

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next