Forest Hills Forum Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1
Prewar buildings in FH - any way to sound-proof?
Post Prewar buildings in FH - any way to sound-proof? 
We are looking for a nice coop in FH. Generally I like prewar buildings because usually it is more spacious and have higher ceilings...however I am also concerned about the floor as most prewar buildings weren't built with concret, so whenever you set a foot on it (even with thick carpet) your downstairs neighbour would want to shoot you...I have two 4-year olds who are constantly running around, so should I give up on prewar buildings? Is there any way to sound-proof the floor?

Post Re: Prewar buildings in FH - any way to sound-proof? 
[quote="doumima"]We are looking for a nice coop in FH. Generally I like prewar buildings because usually it is more spacious and have higher ceilings...however I am also concerned about the floor as most prewar buildings weren't built with concret, so whenever you set a foot on it (even with thick carpet) your downstairs neighbour would want to shoot you...I have two 4-year olds who are constantly running around, so should I give up on prewar buildings? Is there any way to sound-proof the floor?[/quote]

Prewar buildings actually have pretty solid floors. At least the few I have been to. You can jump up and down and no sound for the neighbor.

A floating wood floor may help with soundproofing the floor. I know there are some floating floors that cost a little more because of the extra insulation in the flooring. As far as walls go, would acoustic foam help absorb the sound? I would think a handyman or contractor might be able to help you. Has anyone used angie's list handyman reviews to find a handyman?

The buildings here are topped by penthouses with set back terraces and these are really most interesting. Some buildings are of consistent height, the views are special, not just because of the city-scape surrounding it, but of the roof-scape of the complex itself. Georgetown Mortgage Bank

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1