Forest Hills Forum Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Best and worst of Forest Hills
Post Best and worst of Forest Hills 
So you're New Yorkers. You've got to have opinions on best and worst of everything in Forest Hills. How about the area to live, restaurants, cleaners, car repair, barber shop, coffee shops etc. Fire away!

Post Re: Best and worst of Forest Hills 
[quote="flycasual"]So you're New Yorkers. You've got to have opinions on best and worst of everything in Forest Hills. How about the area to live, restaurants, cleaners, car repair, barber shop, coffee shops etc. Fire away![/quote]

Best T-bone diner (my wife hates it but you can't beat 24/7 food)
Worst McDonalds ..obviously.

Best Bank : local banks.
Worst Bank : all big banks

Best mexican food : 5Burro (sp?)

Best coffee shop : still looking
Worst coffee shop : starbucks

Best area to live : penthouse on windsor
Worst area to live : underneath LIRR railroad (tons of pigeons)

At Metrolube, I always get upsale. Trying to tell me my fuel injection needs cleaning. Gasoline is one of the best solvents and I know my fuel injector doesn't need cleaning. Nevertheless, I get the whole salespitch about how I need one.

Post The best and the worst in Forest Hills 
THE BEST:
Forest Hills is beautiful , is accessible, is close to parks, the beach , the city and the architectural tradition in the Gardens is wonderful. There are also many old and gorgeous houses and pre war buildings in the North side of the Boulevard that I actually like better than some of the houses in the gardens. The schools are fantastic.

THE WORST:
The noise of Queens Boulevard on week mornings. The obsessive compulsion of mothers with strollers stopping every 5 steps on Austin Street.
The blatant racism in the FH Community House and the Church in the Gardens where the old people reject and ostracize newcomers of african american , latin and even Asian extraction, sometimes minorities manage to be accepted as members after struggling with waiting lists etc, but then the old guard makes sure that the newcomers if they are not white they are alienated and not included in event planning, boards, or have any community representation. If by any chance anyone other than the cliques surfaced to some prominence the bastards do anything to bring them down I have seen entire families moving and selling everything overwhelmed by the pressure of the cliques .

It is a shame that the most hypocritical people are the ones that have mixed families and pretend that they accept everyone.

Post Example of the worst in FH Gardens from an article in Daily 
FOREST HILLS BOOTERS WALK
BY NICHOLAS HIRSHON DAILY NEWS WRITER
April 30th 200, 7:26AM
OVER THE YEARS, drivers have been rudely greeted by the little green markers placed throughout the tony Forest Hills Gardens enclave.
Whether freestanding or attached to stop signs, the warnings have always been stern and consistent: Vehicles without a permit or proper written authorization displayed on the dashboard "will be immobilized and/or removed at owner's expense," pursuant to a decision by the New York State Court of Appeals.
But the $125 cost of removing those boots is not as feared as it once was. The company that had placed them on illegally parked vehicles in Forest Hills Gardens quit two months ago, reportedly leaving the community without a means of punishing offenders.
Howard Beach-based A 1 Parking Management Corp. was hired about eight years ago by the board of the Forest Hills Gardens Corp. to enforce the community's strict policy of booting and sometimes towing cars without decals or previously approved notes in clear view.
The reasons A 1 walked out remain unclear. Attempts to reach its owners were unsuccessful, and a woman answering the phone at Forest Hills Gardens Corp. declined comment.
A 1's departure comes in the midst of an ongoing dispute between the Forest Hills Inn apartments and the corporation, one which has taken this exclusive and typically peaceful community by storm.
After a leak in one of the inn apartments' towers forced some residents to temporarily move last winter, the co-op board decided to place scaffolding around the tower and fix the problem.
Leonard Lombard, the co-op board's president, said the Gardens Corp. then told the inn apartments to take down the scaffolding because the corporation had not approved it.
Some charged that the scaffolding also was not pleasing to the eye, leading Rhona Magelowitz, property manager at the inn apartments since 1994, to question their concern for the safety of residents and passersby.
"Wouldn't it be more unsightly if your brain was scattered all over the square?" she asked.
Now Magelowitz, who had first recommended that the Gardens Corp. hire A 1, is embroiled in a civil suit with the corporation, leading to rumors that the litigation and A 1's departure are somehow linked.
However, she admitted that A 1 might be upset over the corporation's decision to issue parking decals only to the inn's commercial tenants and not its apartment residents as the dispute with the co-op board continues.
She suggested that the decision was economically "discriminatory," with the corporation accepting $250 fees from each of the 10 commercial tenants and refusing to issue decals to those living in the 97 apartments, who pay only $50 each.
And with the Gardens Corp. presumably still searching for a towing company, Magelowitz recalled what her lawyer told her at a recent court appearance: "It's like God punished them, Rhona, for refusing to give you the decals."

Post More of the worst 
Forest Hills Gardens Journal; From Plastic Blossoms, a Mighty Resentment Grows

Photo: Elizabeth Sheridan at home in Forest Hills Gardens, Queens, where she often rearranges the fake flowers and Christmas trees in her front yard. (Photo by Robert Stolarik for The New York Times)
Ten miles away from Midtown Manhattan lies Forest Hills Gardens, one of America's oldest planned communities and one of New York's more elegant enclaves.

Just out of reach of the roar of Queens Boulevard, this century-old garden community oozes with civilized serenity. To invoke Yeats, it is a place where peace comes dropping slow. Chestnut trees line the privately owned streets and sunlight trickles over the brickwork. The off-white stucco houses are buttressed with oak timbers and sprout stately chimneys from their steep, terra-cotta-tiled roofs.

It remains virtually how it was designed a century ago by the architects Grosvenor Atterbury and Frederick Law Olmsted Jr.: an orderly, precisely planned example of the British ''garden city'' style.

Well, maybe not 93 Puritan Avenue. Atterbury and Olmsted may not have envisioned this one. It taunts its neighbors with a big wet Technicolor raspberry. Much of the Tudor home's exterior is rotting and peeling away, and much of the grounds are a shambles, but the front yard is meticulously cared for.

It is a forest of artificial Christmas trees bordered by colorful artificial flowers and knickknacks. There is an inflatable dinosaur, with figurines of animals and various wind chimes. It has become such a curiosity over the past decade that it is a staple of neighborhood walking tours and a favorite drive-by spot for teenagers and tourists.

The place looks landscaped by Willy Wonka, but it is actually the work of its owners, Elizabeth Sheridan, 88, and her 53-year-old son, Michael Sheridan. The two are in front of the house early every morning, primping and pruning and changing the exhibits. They often scurry back inside before neighbors step out to work.

For years, it has irked the neighbors, who must adhere to the Garden's infamously strict standards of taste and demure design. And now, one of them, a Manhattan lawyer named Peter E. Vairo, who lives across the street, is fed up.

Mr. Vairo, who said the irked neighbors have not wanted to make a fuss with the Sheridans or the Gardens' management group, moved into his Tudor house five years ago. Now he wakes up furious every morning. ''It's like a punch in the face every time I look out the window,'' he said. ''Look, they put the brightest colors on the side facing me, just to bug me. I can't go to my death knowing I didn't do something about this.''

So last week, Mr. Vairo showed up at Queens Supreme Court in Jamaica, paid his $210 fee and filed a lawsuit against the Sheridans and the Forest Hills Gardens Corporation, whose board that governs the community. The suit charges that the board has failed to enforce its strict aesthetic regulations and has let the Sheridan property become a public nuisance.

''You have to get board permission to replace your door knocker here,'' Mr. Vairo said. ''One guy was told by a judge to take his new garage door down. The rules are made to protect us from people like this. Since when is landscaping filling your property up with Christmas trees?''

The Sheridans say they have no intention of selling or changing their landscaping. But they do intend on countersuing Mr. Vairo for harassment if he cannot curb his ''obsession'' with them, Mr. Sheridan said.

Mr. Sheridan wears a tweed blazer, a traditional British flat cap and longish sideburns. He smokes a pipe and calls his mother ''Mother.'' He is rarely seen without her.

''He has been harassing Mother, who is 88, just for displaying colorful flowers in her own yard,'' Mr. Sheridan said of Mr. Vairo.

The 147-acre enclave has a population of about 4,500 and has included Geraldine Ferraro and Branch Rickey as residents.

Post Re: The best and the worst in Forest Hills 
FHlongtimeresident wrote:

THE WORST:
The noise of Queens Boulevard on week mornings. The obsessive compulsion of mothers with strollers stopping every 5 steps on Austin Street.
The blatant racism in the FH Community House and the Church in the Gardens where the old people reject and ostracize newcomers of african american , latin and even Asian extraction, sometimes minorities manage to be accepted as members after struggling with waiting lists etc, but then the old guard makes sure that the newcomers if they are not white they are alienated and not included in event planning, boards, or have any community representation. If by any chance anyone other than the cliques surfaced to some prominence the bastards do anything to bring them down I have seen entire families moving and selling everything overwhelmed by the pressure of the cliques .

It is a shame that the most hypocritical people are the ones that have mixed families and pretend that they accept everyone.

I think Churches are, by design, racially divisive enterprises. Unfortunately also, as people age, there are fewer opportunities for diverse social interactions and many elderly people recluse from the broader social fabric and recluse within their more familiar social/racial group.

The many smaller little parks around forest hills gardens were originally meant to help people mix and interact. i wonder if it's because we have too many cars now so people no longer just walk out and be friendly with their neighbors anymore. it's a shame.

Very funny because it's true.

Post Re: More of the worst 
mon ami wrote:
Forest Hills Gardens Journal; From Plastic Blossoms, a Mighty Resentment Grows

Mr. Sheridan wears a tweed blazer, a traditional British flat cap and longish sideburns. He smokes a pipe and calls his mother ''Mother.'' He is rarely seen without her.

''He has been harassing Mother, who is 88, just for displaying colorful flowers in her own yard,'' Mr. Sheridan said of Mr. Vairo.

The 147-acre enclave has a population of about 4,500 and has included Geraldine Ferraro and Branch Rickey as residents.

Poor woman. I'd thought the flowers look fine. Certainly much better than gallons of chemical fertilizers people use in their yard.

Post WORST 
"It is a shame that the most hypocritical people are the ones that have mixed families and pretend that they accept everyone."

Totally in agreement I know a few . A couple of those are cash poor and inherited trust funds that tell them when to use the toilet and how to spend every nickel , they spend their lazy butts at the WSTC dreaming of grandeur and pretending they are someone important.

Another old broad that I know adopted many years ago a minority mixed child and she treats her like trash and avoid to mention she has another child when referring to her family.

The daughter of one of these that are quite the loving "read pretend here" married a minority guy, they are now divorcing and now she color the hair of the children so they do not look to ethnic!!!!!

Forest HIlls Gardens is full of these bigots , corrupted people I hear some of the many real estate agents that also live in FH sell their properties and pretend to be the Real Estate Agent never disclosing is their property what they are selling.......

Post Re: WORST 
Mocha wrote:
Totally in agreement I know a few . A couple of those are cash poor and inherited trust funds that tell them when to use the toilet and how to spend every nickel , they spend their lazy butts at the WSTC dreaming of grandeur and pretending they are someone important.

Another old broad that I know adopted many years ago a minority mixed child and she treats her like trash and avoid to mention she has another child when referring to her family.

The daughter of one of these that are quite the loving "read pretend here" married a minority guy, they are now divorcing and now she color the hair of the children so they do not look to ethnic!!!!!

Forest HIlls Gardens is full of these bigots , corrupted people I hear some of the many real estate agents that also live in FH sell their properties and pretend to be the Real Estate Agent never disclosing is their property what they are selling.......

That is sad. This is almost like Park Ave housewives except in a cheaper neighborhood. People with self hate usually hate minorities because they are reminded it's what you do that matters. Who needs that when you have not done anything?

Post Re: WORST 
Mocha wrote:
"It is a shame that the most hypocritical people are the ones that have mixed families and pretend that they accept everyone."

Well, this is still the northeast. Compared to other parts of the country, forest hills gardens has no more bigots than anywhere else. It's not San francisco or seatle or even boston. For a place without young and educated demographics, it's not that bad. Try spending a day in the south or the bible belt, now those are really bigotted places.

THE BEST:
Forest Hills is beautiful , is accessible, is close to parks, the beach , the city and the architectural tradition in the Gardens is wonderful. There are also many old and gorgeous houses and pre war buildings in the North side of the Boulevard that I actually like better than some of the houses in the gardens. The schools are fantastic.

THE WORST:

You are right. racism is a horrible problem in the gardens. a black family moved in our street and i had two neighbors brought that up to me. as if it was an issue. the fact there are so many christian churches i find down right immoral. there is no worse perversion of morality than christianity. but the racism , of course, is covert. you will see people lovingly showing off their black friends. but you'll never see a christian white family's daughters bringing home a black husband. to the post above stating it's no worse than other places, perhaps. but there is still a lot of racism here.

personally, i think if we could get rid of all the churches, it would be a good beginning.

Post Re:Best and worst of Forest Hills 
Hi friends, I am new to the forum and i am glad to join this community. Thanks for sharing such good information which is useful.

Thanks
msdsauthoringservices.com msds authoring services

Post I Have Been Thinking About Moving To Forest Hills 
Hi every one, Well I had so many thoughts about moving to Forest Hills Gardens for some time now.
But I am glad that I have read all these post and it's so sad ..such a lovely erea. I have always said
You should never judge an erea by the beautiful houses and streets but by the poeple who live in those houses.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next