Forest Hills Forum Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1
Hotel on Austin St?!?!?!?!.
Is there any new info on the hotel supposedly coming to Austin St? Apparently they are going to knock down the entire block from Ann Taylor Loft to Piu Bello and build it there... I would rather have 4 more banks come in than a hotel!!! What is happening to our neighborhood?? Has anyone started a petition?

I think the hotel will be a hit. It is supposed to be a marriott or crowne plaza. High end. They will succeed because they will charge somewhat less than Manhattan rates and it will be easy for visitors to get into Manhattan by the subway or LIRR. The hotel will be at least 3 stars. Look down the Blvd at the Pan American in Elmhurst. They are a 2 star hotel, operate at near capacity year round by charging lower than Manhattan prices while still making a profit. There is a demand for hotels in this city now so it doesn't come as quite a surprise. Forest Hills is one of the safest areas in the city. What better place for a hotel. I'm sure the restaurants all along Austin will benefit from hotel guests dining there.

everyone ive spoken to is unhappy about it. it doesnt matter how many stars it has, its not going to be good for austin street. im betting the crime will go up and traffic on austin (that section is clogged enough as it is) will be unbearable.

I don't think crime will go up. Forest Hills by far is the safest area in Queens. A hotel with a bunch of European and out of state guests will not have any effect on crime. As far as traffic on Austin, improvements do have to be made. My suggestion- do we really need buses driving down Austin and turning on 71st? Why not reroute them to Queens Blvd? They seem like the biggest offenders when I see a gridlock situation.

How long would it take to build a hotel? I wouldn't want to see big construction site up for two years. Also I'd thought tourism dropped lately to new york? or i'd thought someone told me that

Tourism is at al all time high in NYC. NYC hotels are packed to the brim. As mentioned earlier, even the Pan American in Elmhurst are operating at near capacity throughout the year. The reason is twofold. First, domestic tourism here is at a all time high. Second, the US dollar is weak and will stay that way for the forseeable future. The result, tourists, many from Britian, are flooding NY. The opposite is true for those from the US visiting Britian. The current exchange rate is just over 2 US dollars for 1UK pound.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1